Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Better World Books

I love books, I always have. But now the pandemic has changed a lot of my old bookish routines. It’s not that I don’t read as much. In fact, my intake of vernacular material has grown exponentially since COVID began almost three years ago. The need is still there, but satisfying that need has changed directions.

Fortunately, part of what has changed is the length and breadth of material that I now consume on a weekly basis. In the past, I would go to our local library every couple of weeks, grab something interesting off the shelf and consume it as time permitted. Now, after almost three years of an altered lifestyle and most libraries being closed or restricted in their lending material, I’ve chosen an alternative pathway that proved to be better than most libraries I’ve patronized in the past.


It’s called Better World Books. In short, I’ve discovered a discount wholesaler of books of every subject matter, genre, form, and interest. All online, BWB allows me the time and comfort of an easy chair to peruse thousands, if not millions of books to buy, all at a deep discount.

For me, the secret was being exposed to books I would never have found on my own. In the past, I had certain library stacks I would always visit and peruse. I seldom ventured over to new areas of interest. Now with the comfort of a cup of coffee, a relaxing chair outdoors, and plenty of time; I can spend as much time and focus as I want to visit, examine, ponder, and finally decide whether or not to get a book that has caught my attention. I can also travel across genres, formats, categories, and subject matter as my mind wanders across this new online literary landscape.

The subject matter I’ve chosen recently covers a wide range. Listed below are just some of the categories I’ve selected books from.


American history

Western history

World history

Business and finance

Architecture

Adventure

Americana music

Politics

Biographys

Music

Vietnam

Military history

Travel

Real Estate

Urban development

Health and Wellness


Maybe that explains my wide-ranging and sometimes eclectic choice of stories to tell in the form of novels, plays, and screenplays - and now children's books. BWB has provided me with a smorgasbord of thoughts and ideas from which to gleam my own take on a wide range of story material. It’s a journey I probably wouldn’t have taken if it hadn’t been for a pandemic and the ease of the internet. Even with libraries opening back up, I’m sort of stuck on BWB and the journeys it can take me on now and into the future.

1 comment:

Luciano Ramirez said...

You gave me some reading and writing ideas. Thanks.

Post a Comment