Tuesday, July 6, 2021

The Next Logical Step

A couple of blogs ago, I talked about my numerous writing projects that have materialized for this summer. (A PenFull of Possibilities).  Most are rewrites with one first draft needing completion. As a writer, I’ve covered some interesting, some would say, rough terrain in my vernacular wanderings through hundreds of pages of novels and plays.


I’ve ventured out west being chased by Apaches, a crazy mountain man and spunky Irish lass. I’ve relived my military service, only this time to go to Vietnam and kill the enemy. My girlfriend broke up with me, was raped, and tied my emotions into knots.


I’ve traveled around the world with a vestal virgin and took her purity even though we both knew it might mean the end of her life. Our relationship twisted and turned even as we were being chased by deadly shape-shifters. There were multiple affairs in Palm Springs and evil lurking there beneath the cover of blue skies and clear pools. My latest novel had me chasing a spicy, smarter than average Alpha female all the while having hitmen on our trail. If you can get through the first chapter, the other chapters only got more interesting (said the author in his defense).


Then besides these packaged stories, I’ve got a plethora of plays that slip from scene to scene of Denver Brownies, token in the homeroom, gay acceptance, Polyamorous affairs and bi-sexual attractions.  So after this Jeep trail of rough rides, cutting dialogue, a dozen or so double entendres and a menage-a-trois or two thrown in for good measure, what might be my next logical step in my writing career?

Naturally writing children’s stories comes to mind.


That’s not as farfetched as it might seem. I wrote a children’s tale about a certain animal more than 15 years ago. I wrote the script, designed the pages and engaged in dialogue with an illustrator to create the panels. The storyline still ‘has legs’ as they say in the trade.

Unfortunately, as so often happens, my illustrator got involved in other activities and never completed even the first panel. I still have the text and hope to find another illustrator to begin the process over again. Vida and I have come up with a new approach and a much broader audience to appeal to.



Then there is ‘Sweetpea and the Gang.’ Sweetpea was the nickname given to my youngest grandchild, Charlotte Jane, when she was an infant. She had a curly top of hair and a delightful, yet a bit devious smile. She was the perfect Sweetpea. Her brother and her cousins would be the perfect gang of kids to follow her in her many antics. I’ve completed page upon page of story-lines, dialogue and comic strip ideas for that project.



Even though the grandchildren have all grown up, I think their dialogue and the storylines still work.

Then there is ‘Kopper the Hopper.’

Kopper is my naïve, awkward, accident-prone kangaroo who just happens to live on a Palm Springs golf course. He came to fruition as I pondered what story to tell B & C as I was putting them to bed on their sleepovers at Nana’s and Papa’s place over the years. Think of him as ‘wily coyote’ chasing himself instead of the roadrunner.

Talk about the ‘Sweetpea’ and ‘Kopper’ projects is probably getting a bit ahead of myself. If I can complete the first children’s project, task one, find an illustrator, I am hoping that experience will give me direction before plunging into the other children’s storylines.

Whatever concern I might have had this spring about projects to complete has vanished with this growing list of vernacular mountains to climb. I think there will be enough pen-to-paper treks to last me well into the fall and winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment